Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish

Home

Welcome

Find Us

Mass Times

Calendar

Information

 You are here: Home/Welcome/Parish History

Horan Wedding

The official opening of the newly renovated church by the Most Reverend Timothy Costelloe, Archbishop of Perth, 23rd July 2017.

 

  In This Section

  Welcome

  About Us

  Parish History

  Building History

  Parish Gallery

  Parish Council

  Jokes

 


school hall church 1936

The original church was housed in the church hall of St John at Scarborough and was blessed and opened by His Grace, Archbishop Prendiville, On Sunday, 20th December 1936.

 

STAGE 1

Post-war, brought rapid growth to Scarborough through immigration. In 1948 the Parish Church was built, and celebrated with the appointment of the first Parish Priest,
Reverend Edward McBride. Later, in 1952, the Parish was dedicated to the Patron Saint, Immaculate Heart of Mary.

Altar in 1955

STAGE 2

In 1967 a new Sanctuary was installed along with the magnificent splendour of stained-glass windows, with great architectural importance, the diffusing light glorifies the Creator.

Altar in 2009

STAGE 3
The new altar
In 2017 The Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish, Scarborough, reached another key milestone in its history as a Parish in the Archdiocese of Perth with major internal renovations completed after years of planning and discussion with the Parish community.

On the 23rd July 2017 The Most Reverend Archbishop Timothy Costelloe SDB Archbishop of Perth concelebrated Mass together with Fr Benedict Lee and Fr Henry Byrne. The Archbishop blessed the revitalised entrance, and the sanctuary and consecrated the new altar.

The Church environment and furnishings have been carefully considered, respecting the precepts of the Church, that ‘ornamentation should be of noble simplicity, not ostentation.’ Main aspects of the renovation included a new Sanctuary, Altar, Ambo and Foyer with the Sanctuary brought forward, closer to the assembly. The Foyer, now renewed with glass doors and decluttered, offers welcome and light, with the doors proudly emblazoned with the symbol of the Parish Patron, the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

altar

Many longstanding members of the Parish community have lived within its boundaries for 50+ years, embodying the steadfast fidelity of the Catholic community of Scarborough. In 2017, in response to Archdiocesan audits, the Parish Priest, Reverend Fr Benedict Lee, with the whole parish, was directed to have the Church revitalised, to meet current community needs. The Church interior, painted all white, expresses the liturgical colour of Resurrection; the original Altar has been retained for Mass preparation behind the partition, in which the familiar Tabernacle has been polished in radiance of the Blessed Sacrament. The simplicity of the new wooden Altar and matching Ambo, which has been carved as an open book for the Liturgy of the Word, captures the noble simplicity with elegance of sacred architecture.

 

Today, the Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church continues to stand in honour of our Lord, under the patronage of His beloved mother, Mary. The slim window of glass, embedded in the rear wall of the Church, between the two famous stained glass windows, focusses the natural light of God on to the Sanctuary and assembly. The Church Crucifix hovers over the Sanctuary suspended in a steel cross beam, an engineering necessity. With faith-filled imagination, one sees the open arms of Christ on the cross, embracing the parish, while metaphysically holding the Church together. The meaning of ‘Church’ in Catholic understanding, is however much more than just the building, as the baptised community of faith really make up the foundation of the Church. Scarborough’s Catholics, in one voice, gather in this sacred space as the Body of Christ.

Church foyer