Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish

Home

Welcome

Find Us

Mass Times

Calendar

Information

   You are here: Home/Information/St John's Primary

 

 

Our church has always shared a special relationship with the St John's Primary School as it is situated next door.  In the 1940's, masses were run out of the school until a purpose-built church was constructed.

St John's Primary Scarborough

HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL
(taken from the school's website)
St John's Primary School website

St. John's School was opened in 1948 by the Sisters of Mercy. The majority of original students were from European migrant families living in the local area. Most of the school was built by voluntary labour.

In 1950, the Dominican Sisters from Dongara took over responsibility for the parish school and Sr. Mary Albertus O.P. was the first Superior. Enrolment peaked in 1958 with small numbers going on to Junior and Leaving Certificate (Years 10 and 12). Prior to 1983, boys transferred to another school after Year 3. 1958 also saw the employment of the first lay teacher.

The first lay principal was appointed in 1981 when the Dominican Sisters relinquished control of the school.

Enrolments declined in later years due to the aging population of Scarborough and the many new schools that opened in the northern suburbs.

Upgrading of the school facilities began in 1990 and includes new classrooms, a Pre-Primary, a Kindergarten, an Administration Block redevelopment of the grounds, a new Library, Canteen and undercover area. This has coincided with increased enrolments which now sees the school’s enrolment nearing capacity.

The school's crest has been adapted from the original black and white fleur-de-lis cross fitted into a shield and worn as a badge on the uniform in earlier years. The shape - in the form of a shield - refers to the defence of the Church’s teaching which St. Dominic fought for during his life; to restore the faith to a world ravaged by heresy. He was ready to defend the truth at all times.

VERITAS - truth, which appears on the scroll under the shield, summarises the whole ideal of the Dominican Sisters.

  In This Section

  Links

  St John's Primary

  Baptism

  Becoming a Catholic

  Getting Married

  Church Revitalisation